Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mental Health Day

So Friday I took the day off of work. I called it a "mental health day", but my friends called it a "Me day". Either way you look at it, I took the day off. The weather has just been so nice and we are kind of in a slow time at work, so I have just not wanted to be there for the last few weeks.

I had a great day, but it was much too short. I didn't tell Joel I was doing this until Thursday night so he wouldn't be tempted to take the day off too (not that I wouldn't love to spend the day with him, but I needed some time to myself). So I got up early and went to the temple. After, I came home and paid some bills and tried to clean up a little bit. Then I had a hair appointment. It has been several months since I have had my hair cut and the good ole Fantastic Sams, and much longer since I have had anything besides just a cut done to it. I decided to splurge and went and had my hair cut and colored. I got tons of blonde highlights. I am still deciding if I like it or not. I left the salon loving it, but now I keep going back and forth. I didn't get a funky cut or anything. It's still pretty much the same even though I told the girl to do whatever with it.

Anyway, by the time she finished my hair it was 3:00 and I was missing Jenna so I went to pick her up from daycare (hey, we had already paid for her to be there for the day, so I had Joel take her in). We came home and played for a little while, then went to the grocery store. I had to laugh while we were at the store because I walked down the rice aisle and all of the shelves were empty. They have been talking on the news lately about the wheat and rice shortages around the country, and I guess I got to see some of it first hand. There were a couple of couples there that were taking one or two carts around and filling them full of food storage stuff. I laughed at the time because I was planning on going to the cannery Saturday morning and was thinking that I was going to pay 1/2 the price these people were paying.

Well, I went to the cannery and guess what. They were nearly out of food! I couldn't beleive it. Apparentley they had a run the day before and had to close early because they were running out of food. They said they sold $25,000 in wheat on Friday alone. They didn't have wheat, beans, rice, or oats left. What a joke! The missionaries there were a little upset about it. They were saying how it wasn't fair for us who had signed up 6 weeks in advance to go work to not be able to buy anything because people who had been freaked out by the news had come and bought everything up. I have to agree with them. I felt kind of bad for them, though, too because there was a guy there who went off on one of the missionaries because they didn't have what he wanted. Like it was her fault. What a jerk.

Anyway, a little side note about Friday night. Jenna and I are sitting there playing when she jumps up, grabs her bum, says "Poopy!" and runs to the bathroom. She went straight to the toilet and lifted the lid. I thought, "This is awesome. She is going to potty train herself." No such luck. I put her on the potty and she freaked out. I put her diaper back on and she ran to the corner to do her business. I know she is still pretty young to be potty trained, but we went out on Saturday and bought a potty for her (It's called the "Cushy Tushy", isn't that cute?). We thought we could have it on hand just to get her used to it I guess. She wanted to play with it last night, but freaked out again when I sat her on it. I am not too worried about potty training her quite yet, but I guess I'd better start thinking about it. I don't even know where to begin, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

0 comments: